The Doctor’s in Secondary Schools Program at MSC has been relaunched in the past fortnight and appointments are now available for students. We are lucky to have Dr. Sonya Morrissey and Nurse, Lea Smerdon from Westcare Medical Centre available each Thursday to support our students.
Some important information
Bookings can be made in the following ways
- Students and parents can contact Tara Coates (Wellbeing) directly or speak to any member of staff. Tara is key contact for Sonya and Lea and organised appointment schedule.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org (by student, parent or staff member).
- Students can drop in to see Practice Nurse, Lea to make an appointment directly during the following times:
- 8:30am- 9am
- 11:40am-12:20pm (lunch)
- 1:30pm- 2pm
- Sonya is here between 9am -1pm each Thursday. Lea is here between 8:30am- 2:30pm Thursday
The program’s consent and confidentiality policy was developed in consultation with experts including: the Australian Medical Association, the Australian Education Union, Parents Victoria and the Victorian Association of Secondary School Principals.
Consistent with Australian common law, the program recognises that:
- any student who wants to see the GP will be permitted to book an appointment
- the GP will decide whether the young person is mature enough to consent to medical treatment or whether parent/carer consent is needed – as is the case with all GPs in the community
- the right for a young person’s health information to be kept confidential will be respected unless the disclosure is with the consent of the young person or it is otherwise permitted by law – as is the case with all GP practice in the community
Please follow the link below to access the consent and confidentiality policy.
- More information about the program can be found at https://www.education.vic.gov.au/about/programs/Pages/doctors.aspx including fact sheets on confidentiality and consent
- If you have any questions about the program, please contact Tara Coates