Enroling at Melton Secondary College
All government schools are assigned a designated neighbourhood zone by the Department of Education and Training. This zone shows where the closest government school lies for each residence.
All students whose permanent residence is within the designated neighbourhood zone are entitled to a place at our school.
Our school zone is available on www.findmyschool.vic.gov.au
Findmyschool.vic.gov.au hosts the most up-to-date information about Victorian school zones for 2020 onwards.
Students residing in this zone are guaranteed a place at our school, which is determined on the basis of your permanent residential address.
The Department provides guidance through the School Placement Policy to ensure that students have access to their designated neighbourhood school and the freedom to choose other schools, subject to facility limitations.
You can find more information and answers to frequently asked questions on the Department’s website under School Zones.
Priority order of placement
Consistent with the Department of Education and Training Placement Policy, Melton Secondary College will place students transferring from other schools and in the following priority order:
- Students for whom the school is the designated neighbourhood school.
- Students with a sibling at the same permanent address who are attending the school at the same time.
- Students seeking enrolment on specific curriculum grounds (including ACE program).
- All other students in order of closeness of their home to the school.
- In exceptional circumstances, compassionate grounds.
Students wishing to enrol at Melton Secondary College are required to follow these steps:
Year 6 to 7 Transfer from a government primary school
- Start of Term 2 – Parents/carers of Year 6 students will receive Parent Transition Pack from their child’s primary school.
- Friday 11 May – Parents/carers of Year 6 students return Application for Year 7 Placement forms to primary schools.
- Wednesday 8 August – Primary schools will notify parents/carers of Year 6 students
- Thursday 10 August – Secondary schools will contact parents/carers of Year 6 students after this date with information about enrolment and orientation
Year 6 to 7 Transfer from a non-government primary school
- Start of Term 2 – parents/carers of Year 6 students should contact the General Office and collect information regarding enrolment.
- May 11 – Parents/carers of Year 6 students lodge an Enrolment Application form at the General Office.
- August 10 – Melton Secondary College will contact parents/carers of Year 6 students after this date to confirm enrolment and to provide information about enrolment and orientation.
Parents/carers wishing to transfer their child into Year 7 after the timeline indicated above must contact the General Office and complete an Enrolment Application form and will also be asked to attend an interview.
Enrolment Transfer into Years 8 to 12
Parents/carers wishing to transfer their child into Years 8 to 12 must contact the General Office and complete an Enrolment Application form. The college will contact you within 5 school days of submitting the application. Where it is determined that a place is available for the child, a pre-enrolment interview will be arranged.
Please speak to the General Office for further information.
All enrolment applications are preceded by an Enrolment Interview. Parents/guardians should provide the following documents to the interview: